The story behind this wine is enough to make anyone want to sample it! Friulano from Friuli-Venezia-Giulia is traditionally known as Tocai Friuliano, for its native growing region Friuli. This grape is a member of the Sauvignon family. Like its more recognizable and well-traveled cousin, Sauvignon-Blanc, Tocai Friulano produces dry white wines with pronounced minerality, acidity and gentle fruitiness.
Thanks to the vagaries of European Union naming conventions, the Italians have been searching for a new name for Tocai since 2006. In 1993, after Hungary joined the European Union, they gained the rights to the name “Tokaji,” and all the variations in spelling (Tocai, Tokay, and several others). All this in spite of the fact that Hungarian Tokaji is a sweet dessert wine, with little in common with Tocai Friuliano apart from its color.
Typology: White wine – Doc Collio
Production area: Rocca Bernarda
Grape variety: 100% Tocai Friulano
Soil composition: Marl and sandstone
Planting Year: 1963, Cappuccina training system
Harvesting: by hand in 10 kilogram boxes.
Fermentation and refinery: De-stemming and soft crushing, followed by immediate cooling to 7-8 ° C. The grapes are macerated for 12 hours at a low temperature. Racking and fermentation with indigenous yeasts occurs in stainless tanks. 20% of the wine is aged in oak barrels of 1500 liters with battonage every 10 days, while the remaining 80% ages in steel tanks with battonage every 20 days. After eight months the two parts are blended and bottled.
Alcohol Content: 12.5% vol.
Tasting notes: Intense yellow color, wide, spicy aroma with hints of citrus, almond, exotic fruit and hints of white peach and white pepper. This is a powerful wine to taste, structured, with good acidity and harmonious fruit and spice; the typical almond aftertaste and exotic fruit is very persistent.
Serving Suggestions: This particular Friulano from Specogna really showcases how the mineral-rich soil yields a crisp, zesty wine that, when combined with the expertise of local winemakers, explodes in flavor with notes of pear. This wine pairs wonderfully with food in general, and begs for seafood!